A(n) Board Meeting presented by WBA at Other
Washington Biathlon Association
Annual Membership Meeting
November 17, 2020
The meeting, held by Zoom, was called to order at 7:10 pm. In attendance were President Bob Vallor, Vice President Jack Whisler, Treasurer Bryn Black, Athletes Representative Kathleen Colvard, Secretary Sibylle Wilbert, and Board Members Sabine Arnold, Cory Hoeger and Brian Palm. Board Member Dave Shaw was unable to attend. Further in attendance were Josh Alms, John (Jack) Androski (National Guard), Melissa Bloom, Rich Braun, John Colvard, H. Durke, Bella and Travis Fox, Matt Gallagher, Ian and Kaydee Gunter, Janna Ott, Dave Painter, Bert Pschunder (National Guard), Dan Renfrow, Dan Richards, Jim Slyfield, Alex and Carolyn Tareski, and Scott Waichler,
All attending Board Members had seen the minutes from the last Board meeting in October. Cory moved to accept the minutes. Kathleen seconded and all agreed.
WBA and USBA membership renewals are due in November. All members who had renewed their WBA membership early were entered into a drawing for a free race. The winner was Alex Tareski.
The Treasurer reported a net income of $405.95 for the year 2020 and a balance of $6,087.00. A detailed financial report is attached in Appendix 1.
The President gave an overview of the state of the WBA:
- There were no competitions this summer because of restrictions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. The WBA is still welcome to host competitions at the Cascade Shooting Facilities in the summer of 2021, if restrictions have been lifted by then. We also have access to free storage at this range.
- COVID-19 restrictions are expected to remain in place until at least the end of the year and the upcoming winter season will also be affected. Three events have been tentatively scheduled in the Methow on January 9 and 10, 2021 (WBA), February 7, 2021 (MVB, Sun-of-a-Gun), and February 20 and 21, 2021 (WBA).
- SPNC has a new director, Jon Popovich, and it is uncertain whether races can be held there this winter. The President will be talking to Jon and the Vail Corporation about the possibility of hosting a race and/or National Guard training in March at SPNC.
- Equipment has been maintained and is generally in good shape. One rifle is being repaired, targets are overall in good working condition, and the trailer will have its stake sides rebuilt.
- The USBA safety class, which is mandatory for new members, will be moved online to ZOOM and offered on pre-race Fridays.
- Matt Gallagher and Chris Chu have been in contact with the operations manager for Nordic skiing at Snoqualmie, Terry Glaze, who is open to having biathlon there. A possible location for a range has been identified. Snoqualmie also employs an internationally recognized groomer, Steve Ward, who has experience grooming at Olympic events. A number of logistics need to be worked out to realize this proposal.
- The National Guard has funding for a biathlon camp this season. The WBA will assist the Guard in holding this event once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted.
- Sponsors have been affected by COVID-19 and have less funding available. Sportube, a company that makes hard ski cases for travel, is interested in supporting the WBA but not until the pandemic eases. The President asked for input and ideas.
- Bryn Black started The Dry Fire Foundry (dryfirefoundry.com), a dry-firing training class held for beginners and advanced biathletes five times weekly by ZOOM. The class has participants from all over the country. It is not part of the WBA but highly recommended by us.
- Jack Whisler announced his retirement from the Board. He has served as a key member since 2002, on the Board since 2009, and as Vice President since 2010. The WBA thanks Jack for his dedication and contributions.
The Elections Administrator announced the results from the elections. All candidates for the open positions were running unopposed. Cory Hoeger was elected as the new Vice President. Sibylle Wilbert as Secretary. Dave Shaw as Board Member #2, Brian Palm as Board Member #4, and Kathleen Colvard as Athletesí Representative. There were no questions to the Board from the Membership.
The meeting closed with a biathlon trivia hosted by Bryn. Congratulations to the winner Jim Slyfield who scored 12 out of 15 correct answers.