September 28th, 2015 - Board Meeting

A(n) Board Meeting presented by WBA at Private

The meeting was called to order at 6:41 pm. In attendance were President Bob Vallor, Treasurer Bryn Black, and Secretary Sibylle Wilbert. Vice President Jack Whisler and Board Member Brian Palm attended by phone. Board Members Mike Kamansky, Cory Hoeger, and Dave Shaw, Athletes’ Representative Sean Kato, and website administrator Greg Daly were unable to attend.
All attending had seen the minutes from the Board Meeting in August. Bob moved to accept the minutes. Bryn seconded and all agreed.
No new membership applications had been received.
Bryn proceeded with the Treasurer’s report. The checking account held $2,218.31 and the PayPal account $2,593.66.
Bryn added a button to the WBA website that links directly to the race results, which now show a similar layout as the spreadsheets. With Greg’s help, all duplicate entries were removed. Future work includes the addition of rotating pictures on the front page.
Webscorer introduced an option for chip-based timing using their software. Unfortunately, this system is complicated and exceeds the club’s financial means.
All club scopes have been fitted with slip-on lens caps. Bob will take some of the scope bags to Windy Pass to have the broken zippers repaired.
The mobile biathlon target at SPAA is ready for standing and prone practice (no platform required). It will be stored with supplies under cover on rifle range #3, where it can be rolled to the 50-meter mark on the right-side wall when needed. Distance markers for wind flags are also on the wall. Pending work includes preparation of the ground to make the target roll more easily. Eye protection is mandatory, and rifle adjustments must be made on a table or mat with the muzzle pointing down range. Bob purchased a table specifically for this purpose. Unless reserved or otherwise in use, rifle range #3 is generally available for biathlon practice Wednesday through Sunday to WBA members who are also SPAA members. Law enforcement training also takes place on this range and takes priority. Detailed instructions for setting up and using the practice target will be posted electronically and a paper copy will be kept prominently near the target on rifle range #3.
Organized work parties at SPAA will be necessary in the upcoming weeks for equipment repair and maintenance. Bob had additional keys to the container made for Board Members so they can independently work on small projects. A work party at SPNC to paint rifle racks and repair the roof of the shed may be scheduled for November, weather permitting.
Elections for a number of Board positions will be held at the upcoming annual WBA Members meeting. The nomination period for the open positions closed on September 21st. Candidates for election are all incumbents except for Sabine Arnold who is running for the position of Athletes’ Representative. Victor Woo’s term as Elections Administrator has expired. Once his contract has been renewed, Victor will send out ballots by email. The tentative winter race and training schedule will also be on the agenda:
Jan 9/10, Newcomer clinic and training
Jan 23/24, Races 1&2
Feb 6/7, Races 3&4
Feb 27/28, Races 5&6
Mar 12/13 or 26/27, Races 7&8
Apr 2/3, Races 9&10
The following old business was discussed:
A number of competitors have expressed interest in purchasing new WBA race suits or vests and an order with VOmax is being compiled. A proposal was made to change the design. The topic will be added as an agenda item to the upcoming Annual Meeting.
An order for Leki products from Germany was placed and items should be arriving before the start of the winter season.
The manufacture of a set of new retaining screws for Izhmash rear sights has been completed by John Benjamin in Portland. John donated a large portion of the time he spent making the screws.
Cory is working with the local printing company Dark Horse Ink to draft new WBA T shirt logos.
The last summer race included an experimental option to use rowing machines instead of running or biking to allow for the participation of competitors who prefer this alternative. The option will be available informally at future summer races, but at this time the race performance of rowers cannot be officially recorded or added to the overall results.
The following new business was discussed:
Brian provided feedback from the Board of the Black Diamond Gun Club in Enumclaw where the last summer race was held. As every year, the club has been highly accommodating and supportive of the WBA. No range fees have been charged and the WBA is invited to continue scheduling future events.
All is ready for the upcoming Annual Meeting. Bryn will send out a newsletter prior to the meeting to encourage participation, remind members that annual fees are due, and ask for pictures from previous events that will be on display.
The next meeting will be the annual WBA Members meeting on October 29th at 7:00 PM at the Alibi Room in Greenwood.
Bob adjourned the meeting at 7:19 pm.