May 20th, 2014 - Board Meeting

A(n) Board Meeting presented by WBA at Private

Recap
The meeting was called to order at 6:42 pm. In attendance were President Bob Vallor, Vice President Jack Whisler, Treasurer Bryn Black, Board Members Cory Hoeger and Dave Shaw, and Secretary Sibylle Wilbert. Athletes’ Representative Sean Kato, Board Members Mike Kamansky and Brian Palm, and website administrator Greg Daly were unable to attend.
All attending had seen the minutes from the last Board Meeting in April. Cory moved to accept the minutes. Dave seconded and all agreed.
A new membership application was received from Julian Schreiber. Bob made a motion to accept the application. Sibylle seconded and all agreed.
Bryn proceeded with the treasury report. The checking account held $1,124.98 and the PayPal account $3,828.55. This includes a $1,420.00 check for matched funds by Greg Daly’s employer Intel for the time Greg donated to build the new WBA website.
Sondre Nordberg will be visiting on the weekend of May 31 through June 1 to give a clinic on dry firing and mental training for biathletes. So far, 14 paid registrations have been received for both days, and one for Saturday only. Free participation was offered to Paul Everett and a member of the National Guard of their choosing. Bryn reserved a range and a class room at SPAA.
The first summer competitions held at TCSA-RMSF in the Tri-Cities on May 3 (mass start) and May 4 (super sprint and mountain bike race) went well. A strong wind affected the shooting scores of most competitors. As this venue has no class room and cannot accommodate competitions in the fall, there will likely be no additional races there this year.
Bryn met with Greg Daly to upload data and learn more about the WBA’s website’s coding and structure. All pending results have been uploaded and a new page for classified advertisements has been added. Bryn is still working on a template for a new results page and Greg will fix a typo in the recent uploads (women were listed as men).
The current summer schedule looks as follows:
May 31 & June 1 – Sondre Nordberg clinic at SPAA
June 7 – newcomer clinic at SPAA (instructors needed)
June 8 – women’s newcomer clinic at SPAA (instructors needed)
June 21 – race (mass start) at SPAA
July 19 – race (individual) at SPAA (Washington Games VII)
August 16 – race (super sprint) at SPAA
September 7 – race (individual and mountain bike race) at the Black Diamond gun club (BDGC)
October, date TBD – race (super sprint and possible mountain bike race) at the North Central Washington gun club (NCWGC) in Wenatchee. Based on pictures Travis Fox sent to Bob, the venue looks promising for summer biathlon. Bob will visit the range next Thursday. If possible, a mountain bike race will be added to the race schedule at this venue. Race dates under discussion include October 11 (Sat), 12 (Sun), 25 (Sat), and 26 (Sun).
Several work parties are needed to repair and maintain equipment or prepare the shooting ranges for competitions. Bryn is about to finish a batch of new paddles, which all need to be painted (Bob will verify the proper length of the stems so Bryn can complete the work). Possible dates for work parties at SPAA (equipment maintenance and repair) include June 15 and June 22. A work party at SPNC (leveling the firing line and range) will likely be scheduled in July. Weeding and preparation of the course and firing line will need to be done prior to the race at BDGC on September 7.
The following new business was discussed:
New forms need to be uploaded for 2-day race events as the date line has dropped off the registration form. At the moment, no additional 2-day races are planned for the summer.
The WBA owns 10 club rifles that have been taken care of and cleaned by the same two people for the last years. To share the load, Bob suggested implementing a procedure where each rifle is assigned to a different club member assuming responsibility for upkeep and cleaning.
The following old business was discussed:
Bob has been talking to Issaquah Trophies about having the Season’s Medals made there, but the cost came out to be too high. Bob will look into alternative sources.
The movable target at SPAA is available for off-hand practice at the rifle range. For prone practice, a small platform is already on site but it is too narrow to support both legs. Dave suggested that we build a properly sized addition to the existing box supporting the extended leg. It would be easier to build and move around.
Victor Shestakov has a contact at Izhmash in Russia and can make purchases directly from them. As several items including magazines and parts for sights are needed for our club rifles, he has offered to place an order for the missing pieces. Victor will find out whether orders need to be made in bulk or whether parts can be purchased individually.
Tom Davies was recruited by Bryn to help out with posting information on the WBA Facebook page, which currently has 274 fans.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 1, at 6:30 PM.
Bob adjourned the meeting at 7:18 pm.