January 15th, 2013 - Board Meeting

A(n) Board Meeting presented by WBA at Private

Recap
Washington Biathlon Association
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
January 16, 2013

The meeting was called to order at 6:38 pm. In attendance were President Bob Vallor, Vice President Jack Whisler, Treasurer Bryn Black, and Secretary Sibylle Wilbert. Athletes' Representative Sean Kato, Board Member Brian Palm, and Website Manager Greg Daly attended by phone. Board Members Cory Hoeger, Mike Kamansky, and Dave Shaw were not able to attend.

All attending had seen the last meeting's minutes. Bob moved to accept the minutes. All agreed.

Bryn reported that the club had received new membership applications from Mike LeRoy, Gregg Moore, Whitney Stensrud, and Rob Whitacre. Jack moved to accept the applications. Bryn seconded, all others agreed. Following the meeting Bryn also received a new membership application from Carolyn Burkhart. Bryn made an out-of-meeting motion to accept the application. Sibylle seconded, none were opposed. In addition, applications for membership renewal were received from the Howard and Leon families.

Bryn proceeded with the treasury report. The checking account held $1,072.29 and the PayPal account $1,907.58. The savings account (aka athletes development fund) stood at $847.42. Bryn reported that she had ordered and received the QuickBooks software for bookkeeping. She installed it on her computer and is currently entering data.

Bob made a large purchase of Federal 711B ammunition for the January 13 newcomer clinic. However, the shipment did not arrive in time for the clinic and Bob bought extra CCI ammunition. The club is now well stocked with ammunition for the season. Bob also bought three padded covers for the club scopes. Because the trailer is in need of rewiring Bob rented a U-Haul to transport the gear from SPAA to SPNC. Bob has identified a shop where he will get the trailer fixed.

Greg presented the revisions he had made to the WBA website. All liked the changes. It features a calendar, recent race results and shooting statistics, a news page with a link to a video from the newcomer clinic, logos from our sponsors, and links to other websites. Greg is still working on adding extra security, previous race results, and other missing information. Bob motioned to make the new site live, all were in favor. Greg will collect feedback and will continue to improve and expand the capabilities of the new site. Greg is also working on recruiting Mountain to Sound Outfitters and some breweries as sponsors.

Bryn reported that the insurance bill had been paid up. Because the value of our assets increased by about $800, the premium went up by $30.

The ski, waxing, and biathlon clinics were well received. Twenty newcomers practiced skate skiing, watched how to wax skis, and learned how to shoot a biathlon rifle prone and standing. The instructors liked the new guidelines for teaching. For the next clinic, the guidelines will be printed with a bigger font size on both sides of a laminated card, and the image of the sight picture will be changed to look more realistic.

The February races in the Methow will be organized similarly as the ones in December.

Following the last race, Bob and Betsy had a productive meeting comparing club procedures. They will continue to talk in the off-season to explore whether there are any aspects that can be further coordinated.

Bob noticed that the information on individual races that is laid out on page three of the entry form sometimes gets overlooked He will modify the entry forms for future races by moving the race information to page two. Greg will also post race information including distances and course maps on the website. After the winter season, Mark Turner will provide new course maps that are color-coded according to the IBU codes.

The next race is an Individual on January 26, followed by a Sprint on January 27.

The preliminary summer race schedule was briefly discussed. The season will start in May with a newcomer clinic and a race in the Tri-Cities. In June, a race may be held at the Black Diamond range. Washington State Games will be held in July. The season will end in fall with another race in the Tri-Cities. We will also have mountain bike races at these events, where possible.

Bob is working on a cart on wheels that will hold a target and zero rack for practice at SPAA. Once finished and approved for use by SPAA, it can be rolled out by SPAA members. The current plan is to use the target on the former archery range, although this needs to be confirmed because the archery range has no backstop.

Ordering more racing suits from VOmax has been put on hold until it can be established whether they can be manufactured with a different, more durable fabric. Bob proposed that the WBA buy Mike Lunenschloss's remaining inventory and will find out what it would cost.

New business:
Bob purchased three interchangeable covers for the club scopes.
Bob is working on applying for a grant from the NRA foundation to buy shooting carpets.
Bryn suggested to get name tags made for board members so that they can be easily identified and approached. All thought this was a good idea.

The next meeting will be on Tuesday, February 12th, at 6:30 PM.

Bob adjourned the meeting at 7:51 pm.

6:30pm.