September 17th, 2019 - Board Meeting

A Winter Board Meeting competition presented by at Other

Recap
Washington Biathlon Association
Board of Directors Meeting
September 17, 2019


The meeting was called to order at 6:41 pm. In attendance were President Bob Vallor, Treasurer Bryn Black, WBA member Kathleen Colvard, and Secretary Sibylle Wilbert. Vice President Jack Whisler, and Board Members Cory Hoeger and Brian Palm attended by phone. Athletes Representative Rich McClung, and Board Members Sabine Arnold and Dave Shaw were unable to attend.
All attending had seen the minutes from the last Board meeting in August. Bob moved to accept the minutes. Bryn seconded and all agreed.

Jerry Liu submitted a new membership application. Bryn moved to accept Jerry as a new member. Sibylle seconded and all agreed.

The Treasurer reported a balance of $1,431.04 in PayPal and $7,307.78 in Savings. The next significant expense will be for insurance, due in January.
Emails sent to a WBA address are currently set up to be forwarded to a personal email account. However, not all Board Members are currently set up to send emails from their WBA address. Bryn will send instructions on how to send emails from a WBA address.

As a concealed pistol license (CPL) holder, Jerry Liu was cleared to rent a rifle from the WBA and picked one up. Bo Fairchild may obtain a CPL as well so he can rent a WBA rifle. The rental fee was dropped from $50 to $40 per month.

Bryn contacted a German company, Sports Albert, about having ski ties made with the WBA logo. Assuming a minimal order of 500, we can get ski ties with Sports Albert printed on one side and the WBA logo on the other for $1.85 a piece for a total of approximately $900 plus shipping. The quality of these ski ties is very good. Bryn moved to buy 500 ties from Sports Albert. Sibylle seconded and all agreed. Bryn will place the order.

Bob is planning on attending a Board meeting at the Cascade Shooting Facilities in Ravensdale. The venue has multiple ranges, of which rifle range B is approximately 250 yards deep and wide enough for ten lanes. The venue has trails that can be used for running and biking, a large parking lot, and a class room. Storing the WBA container on their premises for free might also be a possibility. The Board asked for more information on how the WBA activities can benefit their club. Reasons for partnering include the development of shooting sports, attracting younger shooters and women, and providing a discount on races to the club’s members. Bob will give a presentation to the club’s Board for discussion and approval.
Interlake Sporting Association in Kirkland could be a new option for the summer. The venue has space for eight lanes, wooded hilly trails, and a club house with a class room. Parking is limited, but there are parking spaces outside the range. The facility could also be used for “Try Biathlon” events. Club membership will be required. Bob will write a letter to Board Member Sue Long to introduce biathlon and initiate a partnership.
The Gun Club in Black Diamond is now using the lower range more frequently and it might be difficult to find an available weekend. Brian will look into their schedule.
Bob and Dave picked up nine targets in Winthrop that had been loaned to the Methow Valley Biathlon Association. They were taken to Bob’s house for maintenance. Targets need to be cleaned and centered and some flags need repair. It turns out that the biathlon range in Mazama is located on Forest Service Land, but has not been issued a permit. The range is currently closed until a permit has been obtained.

Last year’s biathlon summit held at the Canvas Event Space was a success and will be repeated this year on November 16. Sondre Nordberg will be a key note speaker on mental training (1 hour), followed by a Q&A session (1 hour). Sondre will also help with the dry-firing session. Doug Reid and/or an assistant will give a Madshus clinic. Brian Palm will do the waxing clinic and Mark Waechter, owner of Nordic Ultratune, has been invited to bring wax and sell at a discount. Bob Vallor will discuss biathlon etiquette. The summit will be primarily geared towards experienced biathletes, but everyone is welcome. If 50 people sign up, the entry fee will need to be around $100 to pay for Sondre’s trip and lodging, rental of the facility and AV equipment, and lunch.

The following proposed 2019−2020 winter schedule at SPNC was approved by Mike Power:
- January 4/5, races #1 & #2 (sprint and pursuit)
- February 1/2, newcomer clinic
- February 22/23, races #3 & #4 (individual and super sprint)
- March 7/8, races #5 & #6 (mass start and super sprint)
- April 11/12, race #7 (mass start, modified, and mixed relay with picnic)

Additional events include:
- January 13-17, World Masters in Seefeld, Austria
- March 18-22 or March 25-29, World Masters Biathlon, Kontiolathi, Finland
- March 27-29, US Biathlon Nationals, West Yellowstone

Hosting a possible “try biathlon” event on February 8/9, February 29/March 1, or March 14/15 was discussed. A land owner is offering the use of a suitable piece of property in Plain, which can hold ten lanes, and Rob from the PVNT has offered to groom. Students will get twenty rounds for shooting big targets, ten to be fired from a prone block for practice and ten during a short race afterwards. Each student will have a practice time of about ten minutes with supervision and basic instructions provided. The entry fee will be $25 per person, not including trail passes. Bob will send a survey to the WBA membership to identify volunteers who can help on the proposed dates.

The shed attached to the small container at the SPNC range took a few bullet holes and had two split beams. It has been taken down. If the Cascade Shooting Facilities agree to house the big container that is currently located at SPAA, the lean-to needs to be rebuilt with a higher roof. Bob moved to buy supplies for approximately $200 to rebuild the shed. Bryn seconded and all agreed.

This meeting ended the nomination period for the positions of President, Treasurer, Athletes Representative, and Board Positions #1 and #3. All Board Members currently in office were re-nominated except for the Athletes Representative who is not eligible this year. Two new candidates were nominated and seconded, Kathleen Colvard and Martha Bellisle. Both submitted a written justification outlining their qualifications to the membership. As Kathleen was initially assigned the role of Elections Administrator, Bob will look for a replacement. Possible candidates for the role of Elections Administrator are Rick McGuire, Ian Gunter, or Kaydee Gunter.
The WBA by-laws are posted on the WBA website under the “about” tab. They have not been reviewed since 2011 and the following proposed changes will be voted on:
 Article 4. Section 1
Currently reads: Annual Meeting of Membership. An annual membership meeting shall be held, on a date and at a location designated by the BOD, during the month of October each year.
The proposal would change the section to: An annual membership meeting shall be held, on a date and at a location designated by the BOD, during the months of October or November each year.
 Article 6. Section 1(F)
Currently reads: Athlete Representative. To be eligible for this position a member must be an active biathlon competitor with a USBA points list rating of 65% or higher or have finished in the top three of the preceding summer or winter season race series.
The proposed change would revise the qualification standard to 70% participation in WBA competitions in the last winter and summer season and would read: To be eligible for this position a member must be an active biathlon competitor with 70% participation in the past WBA winter and summer season race series.
 Article 6. Section 2(A)
Currently reads: Quorum. A quorum of the BOD consists of six (6) officers/members, one of whom must be the President or Vice President. (Note the Board consists of nine members).
The proposal would change the quorum at Board meeting to five (5) officers/members and the change would read: Quorum. A quorum of the BOD consists of five (5) officers/members, one of whom must be the President or Vice President.
The Board approved this change to better conduct business and make decisions when some members are unavailable to attend.
Old business:
 New annual medals are needed for the upcoming Membership Meeting. With enough bronze medals in stock, Bryn will place an order for 20 gold and 10 silver medals.
 The anticipated expense for WBA pins to give to racers in Seefeld is $400-$500. Bryn is working on a quote.
 The print shop at Stevens Pass is open again. Bob will ask Mike whether the WBA can have banners made there.
 All rifle racks have been refitted to a flat butt stock support and need to be painted. The rack for left-handed rifles will be painted a bright yellow.
 The trailer needs to be rewired.
 The bolt of rifle #2 needs work. The channel has some lead fowling and the bolt and handle seem to be out of alignment.
New business:
 The Swix rep, Lawrence Joe, has again giveaways for the WBA this winter. Additional items are needed for raffles. Jim Fletcher will be asked whether he can provide Orchard bars. Bob will look into getting giveaways from shops in Leavenworth.
The next meeting was tentatively set for Tuesday, October 22, 6:30 PM at Bryn’s. The annual members’ meeting will be held on November 6, 6:30 PM, in the Alibi Room in Greenwood, Seattle.
The President adjourned the meeting at 7:45 PM.