May 1st, 2018 - WBA Board Meeting

A(n) Board Meeting presented by at Private

Recap
Washington Biathlon Association
Board of Directors Meeting
May 1, 2018


The meeting was called to order at 6:42 pm. In attendance were President Bob Vallor, Vice President Jack Whisler, Treasurer Bryn Black, Athletes Representative Rich McClung, and Secretary Sibylle Wilbert. Board Member Cory Hoeger attended by phone while Board Members Sabine Arnold, Brian Palm and Dave Shaw were unable to attend.
All attending had seen the minutes from the last Board Meeting in March. Bob moved to accept the minutes. Jack seconded and all agreed.
A new family membership application was received from Victoria Davison and Mark MacLachlan. Sibylle moved to accept the new application. Bryn seconded and all agreed. Membership renewals were received from Rich McClung and Chris Fletcher.
The Treasurer reported that the WBA had available cash of $231.10 in the Checking account and $1,260.23 in the PayPal account. Bob will move the equipment currently in a storage unit in Dryden to his house, which will eliminate the rental fee.
The bolts of Rifles #1 - #4 will be taken to a gunsmith for polishing. In addition, the bolt of Rifle #2 is slightly bent and will need to be repaired.
Bob attended the State Parks meeting in Spokane to discuss the reasons for eliminating biathlon and trail improvements from the development of the Mt. Spokane ski area. The State Parks staff was not familiar with biathlon and did not see value in supporting XC ski racing and biathlon at Mt. Spokane. Biathletes present at the meeting, including USBA Board Member Jerry Baltzell, made their disappointment about the decision known. Bob will follow up with a letter to outline the many advantages of the venue, which has the potential of hosting competitions at the World Cup level.
Bob and Mike Power are discussing options for expanding the trail system and/or putting in a new range at SPNC. Bob will look into possible help from the National Guard with grading and adding new trails.
The shed at the range at SPNC has been cleared except for the draw bridge and floor mats. Bob will get the remaining items as soon as the road is passable.
The newcomer clinics on May 19/20 at SPAA are beginning to fill up. Currently competitions are scheduled at SPAA on July 22 and August 19. Additional venues are being explored for races in June and September. Bryn offered to host an indoor dry-fire clinic with several 1-hour drills and exercises on various topics if a June venue cannot be found. This clinic could also be held later in the year and Bryn will start planning for it.
The MVBA received a grant from the NRA to install lead traps at their Mazama range. However, the Board of the Methow Valley Ski Education Foundation rejected the grant because it was from the NRA. Bob is looking into the possibility of having the WBA accept the grant on behalf of the MVBA and then transferring the money back to them.
Old business:
− Mike Power offered having additional WBA, SPAA, and SPNC banners made at the Stevens Pass sign shop. He will also have the “biathalon” sign replaced.
New business:
− Bob will contact Tracy Lamb, Director of the US Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, for assistance with offering Level 1 and 2 range certification courses. A venue with access to a shooting range will be needed.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 5, at 6:30 PM at Bryn’s.
The President adjourned the meeting at 7:22 PM.`